Apple commits to be 100 percent carbon neutral by 2030

Apple commits to be 100 percent carbon neutral by 2030
<![CDATA[

Apple, based in Cupertino, California, announced plans to become completely carbon neutral in the next decade. It will be across the entire business with the goal of every Apple device having net zero climate impact.

“Businesses have a profound opportunity to help build a more sustainable future, one born of our common concern for the planet we share,” says Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “The innovations powering our environmental journey are not only good for the planet—they’ve helped us make our products more energy efficient and bring new sources of clean energy online around the world. Climate action can be the foundation for a new era of innovative potential, job creation and durable economic growth. With our commitment to carbon neutrality, we hope to be a ripple in the pond that creates a much larger change.”

Apple also plans to reduce emissions by 75 percent by 2030 and have solutions for carbon removal for the other 25 percent.

To take on this mission Apple has created a climate road map for the next decade. Some of Apple’s first steps include increasing the use of low carbon and recycled materials in its products, innovating product recycling and designing products to be more energy efficient.

The company is working with several companies to develop more engineering solutions. All iPhone, iPad, Mac and Apple Watch devices released in the past year are made with recycled content.

Apple decreased its carbon footprint by 4.3 million metric tons in 2019 and over the past 11 years, Apple has reduced the average energy needed for product use by 73 percent.

It isn’t just the products though, as Apple is working to find new ways to lower energy use at its corporate facilities.

Last year, Apple invested in energy efficiency upgrades to more than 6.4 million square feet of new and existing buildings, lowering electricity needs by nearly 20 percent.

Renewable energy is also important. Apple has commitments from more than 70 suppliers to use 100 percent renewable energy for production. Those commitments will avoid more than 14.3 million metric tons of CO2 each year.

Emissions will also be tackled through improvements in processing and materials by supporting a direct carbon-free aluminum smelting process with two aluminum suppliers.

]]>
Source: Recycling Today
Apple commits to be 100 percent carbon neutral by 2030
<![CDATA[Apple, based in Cupertino, California, announced plans to become completely carbon neutral in the next decade. It will be across the entire business with the goal of every Apple device having net zero climate impact. “Businesses have a profound opportunity to help build a more sustainable future, one born of our common concern for the planet we share,” says Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “The innovations powering our environmental journey are not only good for the planet—they’ve helped us make our products more energy efficient and bring new sources of clean energy online around the world. Climate action can be the foundation for a new era of innovative potential, job creation and durable economic growth. With our commitment to carbon neutrality, we hope to be a ripple in the pond that creates a much larger change.”Apple also plans to reduce emissions by 75 percent by 2030 and have solutions for carbon removal for the other 25 percent. To take on this mission Apple has created a climate road map for the next decade. Some of Apple’s first steps include increasing the use of low carbon and recycled materials in its products, innovating product recycling and designing products to be more energy…

Carolina Recycling Association